Monday, April 20, 2009

Dealing with negativity or criticism in class




Learning how to deal with negativity in class is quite important and can be also crucial while maintaining a balance and a good athmosphere in class.
That it's important we all know. On the other hand, it can be quite hard separating the remarks that come from laziness and the ones that are truly legit.


I find that hard to do mostly because I can be very protective of my classes. I struggle while preparing them, thinking about best ways to provoke and practice the structures....So, when- in the middle of the class- I hear something such us " This is boring!"- I have the urge to scream from the top of my lungs
- HOW DARE YOU?
Obviously, I don't do that. Instead I control myself and have recently come up with something really magic that has been changing my level of stress, which is: it's not personal.
Simple, isn't it?
Truth is: not everything is about you and there is a considerable chance that your students are not together in an evil plan to make your life miserable.

Having said that, there are acceptable ways for your students to crticize something and I am sure you know when a student is saying something that can be taken into consideration and when he/she is just crossing the line.

While doing that we may want to consider that some students don't have much people skills and it is up to you to stablish limits and appopriate ways to build an open and respectful communication-rapport- between you and them.

What about you? How do you deal with criticism in class?

0 comments: